Reginald (Rex) STOWELL(180) was born on 20 Jun 18711 , at Salford, Lancashire, the eighth of fourteen children of the Rev. Thomas Alfred STOWELL and Emma TATHAM2. He died, aged 68, on 23 Mar 1940 at Southport, Lancashire3. He did not marry.
Rex was educated at Sedbergh School, though presumably he attended a local school before this, and St John's College, Cambridge, where he was admitted as a Pensioner on 16 Oct 1890, and was a Lupton Hebblethwaite Exhibitioner. He took his B.A. in 1893 (3rd class hons. in the classical tripos) and M.A. in 19054.
Reginald pursued a career in the Church of England, the last Stowell on my father's side of the family to do so. He was ordained Deacon in 1896 and Priest in 1897. His postings were:
1) Curate of Wirksworth, Derbyshire, 1896-1901
2) Curate of Chorley, Lancashire 1901-1907
3) Curate-in-charge, Cleveleys, 1907-8
In 1932 he was made an Honorary Canon of Bradford.
Probate on his estate was granted on 30 May 1940 to Percy Stowell, retired company director, my grandfather, and to Leonard Stowell, chartered accountant, presumably his brother Leonard. Reginald's address was 49 Wennington Road, Southport, Lancashire. His effects were valued at £7003 0s. 9d5.
1) Cambridge University Alumni 1261-1900,
database on Ancestry.com from Alumni Cantabrigensis.
2) Pedigree chart B-S831 prepared by the late J. A. Stowell, Oct 1993.
3) GRO deaths index, Southport, Lancs., Mar 1940, vol.8b, p.2030. The date of his death is also noted in Cambridge University Alumni, see note 1 above.
4) Cambridge University Alumni, see note 1 above, and Crockford's Clerical Directory.
5) England and Wales National Probate Calendar, 1861-1941, database on Ancestry.com, derived from the Calendar of the Grants of Probate and Letters of Administration in the Probate Registries of the High Court of Justice of England.
© John Stowell 2011 This file last edited on 18 October 2011.
Home | Back to the main Stowell page | Surnames
Contact me by E-mail